Carved out of the rock, the Hôtel de Paris Monte-Carlo wine cellars reveal some of their best kept secret anecdotes.
Wine cellars located underneath the Hôtel Hermitage
When the wine cellars were first built in 1874, they were underneath the Hôtel Hermitage Monte-Carlo.
Later, Marie Blanc decided to extend the cellars. The construction that ensued lasted for years, during which a hundred different types of workers worked in shifts. The surface area of the wine cellars were increased tenfold and now reached the Hôtel de Paris Monte-Carlo.
Bottles hidden during the war
The bottles stored in this room were protected during the Second World War. Before the Nazi occupation, the cellarmaster at the time used empty bottles to wall up the hallway leading to this cellar, thus ensuring it was protected.
The trick worked, and was not discovered at the time. The oldest bottle in the wine cellars, a vintage from 1800, is also stored in this sanctuary.
Royal family celebrations
In April 1976, around a makeshift table in the wine cellars, an unexpected celebration took place: Prince Rainier III of Monaco and the Princess Grace celebrated their twentieth wedding anniversary along with a few loved ones.